17 July 2008

What is the qualification criteria...

... for a Facebook friend.

This is one of those postings which may offend some people. Sorry, I didn't mean you... :D

On Facebook (FB), you get requests to connect with people from your present or past live and you become Facebook friends. Yes, I need to write FB friends because some of the people who added me barely know me. Already when FB was not known yet throughout Europe I had a few requests like this.. but know that FB has spread like a plague, it has reached its limits.

Which of the following does qualify you to become somes friend:
- you've met them once at a party?
- they are yours friend's friend?
- they've spend a couple of days at the same student event as you did, but you've never really talked
- you are originally from a village near by and since the villages are really small and everyone "knows" everyone, everybody is "friends",
- you are from the same country and they feel lonely,
- you've played football once with them,

and my favourite by far
- you've opened a FB group for the area where you're from, when on the interenet, found the following photo of that place and published it on the groups space (no author rights, I know... blush... I'm imbaressed... blush again).

A couple of weeks later I get a FB request to connect from a random guy from Slovenia. And I write back that I'm sorry and that I can't remember who he is (have to admit memory isn't my strongest point) and if he can refresh my memory. And the guy writes back: "ojla.Vidu sem slikco slikano iz padala in hkrati me babica sprašuje "slovenski jadralni padalec Klemen" ko gleda v križanko:). No potem sem deloval iz afekta, ker jadralni padalci pač držimo skup."

I guess some of you need a translation. :) Here goes: " Hi. I saw the photo taken from by a paraglider and at the same time my grandma asks "slovenian paraglider Klemen" trying to solve a crossword:). So, then I have acted in affect cause we paragliders stick together."

I was completely flabbergasted. To give the guy some credit, he did write that if he overstapped the line, I may just think of it as a nuisance. :D

2 comments:

borjabrela said...

Just check out the website they mentioned the other day in Thelondonpaper: hatebook, enemybook, isolatr.com. All of them sprang out of minds fed up with the shallowness of the Facebook (FB) friendship.

I am always wary of the Facebook stuff. I'm pretty independent and like keeping the important things for myself. A method to rate the level of friendship with your FB acquaintances is definitely needed.

Love and freedom.

Anonymous said...

FB friend is indeed a new term. In my usage it has nothing to do with friendship, funny enough.

I find it (Facebook) as a convinient way to keep my address book automatically updated. So the people added or confirmed are people I know (my criteria is that I met them live and that I can remember them).

As the result of my criteria, I am in fact removing people every now and then, as I forget them.

Rating I would never do online. It's bad enough they know who the people I know are, let alone that I tell them who of them are indeed friends.