09 May 2010

Feels like...

... home!

If you would compare Laos and Slovenia you could use the phrase that is heard constantly all over SE Asia: Same same, but different! I know some of you will go WTF, but the landscape is very similar apart from the wider rivers and tropical vegetation. Both countries don't have anything special re resources or industry and are a crossroad for bigger neighboring countries. There are no big cities and even the capitals are small and relaxed.

Anyway... I feel almost like at home. Loving it! There were just to many photos and events to write everything down...

Luang Prabang is a nice French colonial town with is in a way very similar to Hoi An in Vietnam. Old, chilled out, a bit up market due to turism... but Luang Prabang has a few additional elements. Mainly loads of temples and monks and the night market.

After I headed up the Nam Ou river to Nong Kiaw and Muang Ngoi Neua. Both are in a high mountain valley with spectacular views! And specially Muang Ngoi Neua is very small. It is only accessible my river and there are no cars, no motobikes... even no bicycles. There is electricity... but only between 6 pm and 10 pm. I loved it... went to even smaller villages around, kayaking, going to caves, bathing in the river, playing with children and the guys I met there are really nice. I almost stayed even longer, but I'm slowly starting to run out of time... two or three more days in Luang Prabang and then I need to head south!

No comments: